- 4% of our children are addicted to gambling.
American Psychiatric Assoc., Harvard Medical School, etc.
- 1.5% of adults are addicted. National Gambling Impact Study Commission
- Gambling addicts: 20% of adults and youth commit or attempt suicide. Their spouses & children are twice as likely to do the same as the national average. California Council on Problem Gambling & Missouri Department of Health & National Council on Problem Gambling
- 60% commit crimes. California Council on Problem Gambling
- Members of Gamblers Anonymous Steal an average of $60,700
Illinois study of GA members/Insight News 10.17.05
- The average debt is between $63,000 and $110,000.
CT Department of Mental Health
- 20% of addicted gamblers have filed for bankruptcy.
Professor John Warren Kindt, Bankruptcy Developments Journal
- Bankruptcy rate was 35% higher in counties with gambling than counties without gambling. SMR Research Corporation, 1996
- Missouri casino counties had a 50% higher bankruptcy filing rate than non casino counties. SMR Research Corporation, 1997
- 63% of gambling addicts are alcoholics. But the reverse is not so.
CA Council & H. Wesley Clark, MF, JD, MPH, CAS, FASAM
- Up to 50% of spouses of addicted gamblers are abused. After casinos opened in SD child abuse rose by 42% and domestic assaults by 80%.
National Research Council, The Guardian 11.5.04
- Society's cost per pathological gambler per year is $13,586. Crime, Suicide, Illness, Business, Employment Costs, Bankruptcy, Social Services, Government Direct Regulatory Costs.
Business Profitability vs. Social Profitability: Evaluating The Social Contribution Of Industries With Externalities, The Case Of The Casino Industry, Earl L. Grinols,Dept. of Economics, University of Illinois, David B. Mustard, Dept. of Economics, University of Georgia, December
- Gambling addicted moms and dads murder their spouses and children, then commit suicide.*
- Crime victims of addicts are families, friends, businesses, kids, charities, churches, organizations as well as local, state and federal tax payers.*