When Mommy Gambles and Looses Everything,
I Lose Everything Too
- Kate, 40, a gambling addict and mother of 2, committed suicide by shooting herself in the head.
- St. Louis Post 2/22/95
- Cristy Weber's mother committed suicide after secret, luck-less trips to Casino St. Charles.
- St. Louis Post Dispatch 3/3/96
- A 35-year-old father of 3, scammed hundreds of thousands of dollars from the elderly, gambled the money away at casinos, then abandoned his family.
- St. Louis Post 10/17/97
- Clay Co. judge estimates gambling problems have been a factor in 5% to 10% of the divorces she has presided over since the casinos arrived.
- Focus on the Family citizen 6/23/97
- Station K.C. casino is adding an 18-screen theater, a 5,000-sq. ft. high-tech game arcade for kids, an ice cream parlor and hamburger joint. There are no security checkpoints to prevent youngsters from wandering through open-air taverns with scantily clad cocktail waitresses and a clear view of slots and gambling.
- Kansas City Star 6/4/97
- "If casinos management isn't using kids as lures to get parents into the gambling halls, it's at least making sure mom and dad will find it convenient to park the kids in a theater or the arcade while they give the roulette wheel a spin."
- Kansas City Star 6/25/97
- Flamingo Casino employees participated in an elementary school "career day" where they gave away riverboat casino T-shirts to 4th and 5th graders and had them sing the casino's theme song.
- Kansas City Star 3/16/97
- A two-year-old boy died after being left in a van while his baby sitter played video poker.
- Times-Picayune, LA 4/12/97
- A 10-day-old Georgia baby left inside a car died while her mother gambled in a casino; N.C. man arrested after locking his 2-year-old and 4--year-old in a car while he gambled; N.C. mother left her 6-month-old daughter in a locked car while she gambled.
The Associated Press 9/4/97
- Seven-year-old raped and murdered at 3 a.m. in a Las Vegas casino while her father gambled. A detective investigating the murder was amazed by the number of unsupervised children at the hotel casino.
- Los Angeles Times 7/16/97, Las Vegas Sun 5/27/97
- Father murders wife, his 11-year-old and 7-year-old, then commits suicide. He defrauded area banks of $2 million and had $10 million in gambling and other debts. He gambled at Atlantic City casinos.
- Washington Post 8/6/98
- Millions of kids are visiting casinos every year. What we found was shocking! Young kids, many completely on their own in the wee hours of the morning loitering just off the casino floors. A 14-year-old with her 5-year-old brother at 2 a.m. We found children everywhere in the middle of the night, and casino police and security did nothing. Parents of three were still gambling when an uncle picked up the children at 3 a.m. A toddler walking alone with a baby bottle - an 11- year-old falling asleep on the ground - two 10-year-olds walking through a casino trying to find their parents - young teens forgetting a toddler in a gift shop until 2 a.m. All the parents that we spoke to think it was no big deal. An 8- week-old not picked up at Kids Quest until after midnight. A 7-year-old spent 12 hrs. in day care; at 1 a.m. a dozen young and sleepy kids were still there. "Is this what we've come to that we find this acceptable?"
- ABC 20/20
Copyright © 2007 Casino Watch, Inc. All Rights Reserved.